[vtkusers] Build issues on OS-X

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 17:29:09 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> David Cole wrote:
> > Where did you get the VTK source tree from? That file should be named
> > .cmake, not .cm...
> >
> > Is it possible it was corrupted by the method used to copy it onto this
> > computer?
>
> That was it:
>
> I actually thought of that when I started messing with this last week --
> then I tried the tar file, instead of the zip file, with similar results.
>
> However, after your message, I looked again -- the file names seemed to
> be getting chopped off at 32 characters -- an old Mac limit. I was
> unpacking them by just double clicking them in the Finder, which, I
> think, calls StuffitExpander.
>
> I unpacked them again with the command line tar, and presto -- full
> filenames!
>
> so:
>  ** DANGER DANGER DANGER **
>
> The default tarball (and zip) unpacker that gets called from the Finder
> in OS-X 10.4 (and probably others) truncates file names at 32 characters!!!
>
> thanks,
>

> -Chris

NO TRUE. The _default_ tar and zip application is the finder itself.
Something has been done to your system to set Stuffit Expander as the
default instead.

   Stuffit Expand doesn't even ship with OS X any more. I think the
latest version of Stuffit shouldn't have a problem with long file
names but I may be wrong. The 32 character limit is a carbon thing.
You see this sort of behaviour out of apps like Photoshop, Adobe
Reader, and MS Office (2004 and earlier).

--
Mike Jackson
imikejackson _at_ gee-mail dot com