[vtkusers] Memory allocation error

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Feb 1 12:16:28 EST 2008

On 2/1/08 11:22 AM, Luca Pallozzi Lavorante said:

>ERROR: In VTK/Common/vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx, line 105
>vtkFloatArray (0x2f8de508): Unable to allocate 103683399 elements of size 4
>bytes.
>
>The total memory needed by the above class would be nearly 400 MBytes. I am
>using a Linux box with 2Gbytes Memory.
>Can somebody tell me whether this memory error is  independent  of  VTK?
>Is  VTK  capable to work with models with such a big number of triangles (10
>million)?

The amount of physical memory you have is irrelevant.  What's important
is virtual memory and memory fragmentation.  You might want to read up
on these concepts.  I suspect fragmentation is your problem.  Because
you are dealing with large datasets, you might want to consider building
your code as 64 bit.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com