[vtkusers] Memory allocation error

Luca Pallozzi Lavorante lplavorante at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 08:22:56 EST 2008

Hi everybody,
I am trying to create a vtkPolyData object from a huge GOCAD TSurf ASCII
file (nearly 10 million triangles). I create geometry with vtkPoints and
topology with vtkCellArray and I update these instances while reading the
file. Then I associate geometry and topology with an instance of
vtkPolyData.
During the process, i get the following error:

ERROR: In VTK/Common/vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx, line 105
vtkFloatArray (0x2f8de508): Unable to allocate 103683399 elements of size 4
bytes.

The total memory needed by the above class would be nearly 400 MBytes. I am
using a Linux box with 2Gbytes Memory.
Can somebody tell me whether this memory error is  independent  of  VTK?
Is  VTK  capable to work with models with such a big number of triangles (10
million)?

Thanks in advance fo any hint

     Luca Pallozzi Lavorante