[vtkusers] Infovis: Changing layout strategy parameters

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Dec 18 06:22:55 EST 2008

Hey folks,

Why do the docs say "The strong recommendation is that you do not
change this parameter" for things like initial temperature and cool
down rate on layout strategies like Fast2D? For some of my graphs I
don't even get close to a "final" layout with the default parameters
(i.e. it takes a lot of rearranging from a random initial
configuration to get to a nice layout, so I can get there eventually
if I boost up both parameters quite a bit).

Instead of changing these parameters, is there a way to tell the
layout strategy to give the graph another "kick" from the current
state (rather than from the initial random layout) once it thinks the
layout is complete?  ForceDirected has a setting for whether points
should be initially random, but is there a way to tell the "density
grid based" strategies to start with "jittered" versions of the
current graph vertex positions rather than random?

Thanks,
-Eric

P.S.  Isn't the Cool Down Rate more like a decay time constant rather
than a rate?