[vtkusers] Problem reading a vtk-file with vtkStructuredGridReader

mirko heuegger mheuegger at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 07:59:37 EST 2008

Hello!

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Thomas Obenaus wrote:
> - [cut] -
> Sorry but I had no success. Following the instructions of the wiki-article
> the filename D:\wör\bf.vtk should be converted to D:\W_R\BF.VTK (all unknown
> characters replaced by an underscore).

i think you misunderstood something.

All file/directory-paths that contains special characters should be
accessed by using their (dos) 8.3 name.

you may view this name by using the (dos) command DIR <file/dir-name> /X
e.g: 'wör', in  8.3 notation is 'WRBFDA~1'  (on my computer).

getting this 8.3 name should be possible  (sorry, i'm not a c++ coder)
over the WinAPI 'GetShortPathNameA' call.

hth mirko

--
Real programmers don't document; if it was
hard to write, it should be hard to understand.