[vtkusers] Complete Initialization of vtkLODActor prior Interaction

tobse tobias.meisel at phacon-leipzig.de
Mon Dec 8 05:21:41 EST 2008

Hi,

I like to present different LODactors in a scene. The simplified application
is shown below. This works fine, except on thing. In the case the desired
update rate (during interaction) can not be fulfilled, it switches to the
low-level resoltion, but the "switching" is too slowly (I assume for loading
the low level mapper - allocating memory). After same interactions it is as
fast as desired.
My preferred behaviour is: Load everything the might be needed prior
starting the renderer / interactor, so that interaction is always as fast as
possible, even in the beginning. it is not problem that the initalization
needs more time. What I tried so far is to  -->Update() readers and mappers.

//Reader
	vtkPLYReader* reader = vtkPLYReader::New();
	vtkPLYReader* readerlow = vtkPLYReader::New();

//Mapper
	vtkPolyDataMapper* mapper = vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
	mapper->SetInput(reader->GetOutput());
	vtkPolyDataMapper* mapperlow = vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
	mapperlow->SetInput(readerlow->GetOutput());

//Actor
	vtkLODActor* lodactor = vtkLODActor::New();
	lodactor->AddLODMapper(mapper);
	lodactor->AddLODMapper(mapperlow);

//Renderer and Window
	vtkRenderer* ren = vtkRenderer::New();
	ren->AddActor(lodactor);
	vtkRenderWindow* renwin = vtkRenderWindow::New();
	renwin->AddRenderer(ren);

//Interactor
             vtkRenderWindowInteractor * iren =
vtkRenderWindowInteractor::New();
	iren->SetRenderWindow(renwin);
	iren->SetStillUpdateRate(0.1);
	iren->SetDesiredUpdateRate(20);
	renwin->Render(); // init renderer
	iren->Initialize();
	iren->Start();

// Delete everything

I prefer not to use vtkLODProp3D cause my Design bases a lot of vtkActor,
but this is not a must. ? I would be glad for any advice.
Tobias