[vtkusers] Occlusion

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Wed Dec 3 10:49:06 EST 2008

Markus,

I'm not sure why you need to render everything first. It sounds like you are
trying to accomplish a preprocessing step on the geometry that is view
independent, that is, you want to know what parts of skin the needle
shouldn't go through to avoid hitting organs. I could see the possibility of
using graphics hardware to accelerate computation of the occluded skin from
a point (say, the center of the tumor) by using a shadow mapping algorithm,
but how to do this for the full tumor geometry is not immediately clear to
me.

In any case, I don't know of anything in VTK can be used to solve your
problem easily. I think you are going to have to use a computational
geometry toolkit, but I'll defer to those with more computational geometry
experience than me.

Good luck,
Cory