[vtkusers] Occlusion

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Tue Dec 2 08:28:19 EST 2008

Hi Markus,

I don't have a VTK-based solution for you based on your problem description,
but I am curious why you want to eliminate triangles of the vtkPolyData
representing the skin. What is the ultimate goal you are trying to
accomplish? Are you worried about performance? If so, you probably
shouldn't. Modern GPUs can render triangles very quickly, especially with
features like early z culling. Are you trying to eliminate them from the
scene? If they are occluded from your view point, you won't see them.

Just curious,
Cory

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 7:37 AM, Engel Markus <m.engel at dkfz-heidelberg.de>wrote:

>  Hi!
>

> I'm currently looking for a possibility to check whether a certain triangle
> of my vtkPolyData is visible or occluded by another PolyData.
>

> I'm writing a program that eliminates triangles of the PolyData,
> representing the patients skin, that are not visible from the barycenter of
> a tumor,
>
> because they are occluded by other organs. All organs, the tumor and the
> skin are vtkPolyDatas.
>
> So I basically need to check if there is an Object, in this case a
> PolyData, between a point and a tringle.
>

> As the program is going to be based on VTK, I'm searching for a native VTK
> solution.
>
> I already stumbled upon  the OpenGL  occlusion_query, however I afraid it
> won't be easy to integrate this into the existing rendering-pipeline. That's
> another reason for looking for some VTK-stuff.
>

> Thanks a lot!
>

> Markus

Cory Quammen
Center for Computer Integrated Systems for Microscopy and Manipulation
(CISMM)
Department of Computer Science
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~cquammen