[vtkusers] running examples on vtk

RAGHU PRASAD raghuprasad.m.s at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 08:28:32 EDT 2008

Hi ,

          I have built vtk 5.0.3 with cmake 2.4.7 and VC++ 6.0 on win xp
platform with NTFS hadrdrive unit.I followed the procedure given below.

1.Download vtk 5.0.3 source file and unzip it to a location
C:\myprojects\vtksrc.
2 .Download vtk data 5.0.3  and unzip it to a location
C:\myprojects\vtkdata.
3.Download vtk 5.0.3 win 32.exe to  location C:\myprojects\vtk5.0.3
4.Create a folder to save the binaies in location C:\myprojects\vtkbin.
5.Download and install cmake 2.4.7.
6.on windows xp set the environment variables right click on my
computer,properties---->Advanced----->environment variables--------->system
variables----------->new-------->variable
name-------->vtk_data_root---------->variable
value--------->C:\vtkproject\vtkdata and click ok.
7.run cmake set the source path as C:\myprojects\vtksrc and the where to
build the binaries as C:\myprojects\vtkbin as i am using cmake 2.4.7 there
is a option of setting the advanced values check the advanced values box.
8.Click on configure and turn on the following flags VTK_USE_ANSI_STDLIB
ON,BUILD_EXAMPLES OFF,BUILD_SHARED_LIBS OFF,VTk-USE_PARALLEL OFF ,VTK
_USE_RENDERING ON nad i configured again and clicked on ok
9.Open the vtkbin folder double click on vtk.dsw and in vc++ click on
ALLL_BUILD  and build it toolk about 10 minutes to build and flashed a
message stating 0 errors and 0 warnings.

Is THE ABOVE METHOD CORRECT.Please correct me if i am wrong.

My question is how to run examples to verify whether by build is successful
or not.How to include an example project and make it run.

when I opened an example project directly by clicking on example.cxx file it
flashed an erron in vc++ ide stating that cannot compile the file no compile
tool associated with the file extension

please provide me a solution for this.