[vtkusers] HOW TO BUILD AND INSTALL VTK ON WINXP

Kerry Loux louxkr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 07:48:05 EDT 2008

Here are my notes on building VTK 5.0.4.  No guarantee that this will work
for you, but this is what I did:

For instructions on building and installing VTK see:
    http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_Building_VTK

My instructions:
1.    Download vtk-5.0.4.zip from www.vtk.org and unzip it.  This contains
the files required to build VTK,
    not the files required to use VTK in your own project.
2.    Download CMake from www.cmake.org.  Choose the Windows installer and
install it.  Also create another
    directory to place the intermediate files during the build.  I recommend
YourVTKSourceInstallDir\Build.
3.    Run CMakeSetup (in /bin) and set the source directory and the where to
build the binaries directory.
    This where to build the binaries directory is the directory you just
created for the intermediate files.
4.    Hit configure.  This will ask what compiler to configure for, then
scan your system before populating the
    list of project options.
5.    Set the project options.  The BUILD_SHARED_LIBS option is for building
the project for dynamic linking
    -> If you want to use static linking, set this to OFF.  The
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX is the directory where
    the bin, lib, and include directories (for use with your project) will
be created.  Others are self
    explanitory.
6.    After changing the project options, you need to hit configure again
before you can click OK.
7.    In the directory you created in which you wanted your binaries stored,
is a project file called VTK.sln.
    Open this project.
8.    Now you can build the project.  I recommend a batch build where you
select only the BUILD_ALL project for
    the configurations you want.  This project configures and builds the
others.
    NOTE:  Building with the BUILD_EXAMPLES option (from CMake) gave me a
whole bunch of crashes during
    compile (compiling the examples - everything else still builds fine).  I
don't know why.
9.    Do another batch build, this time for the INSTALL projects.  Build the
same configurations for which you
    built the BUILD_ALL projects.  This simply copies all of the binaries,
libraries, and headers into the
    directory that you specified with CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX.

Hope this helps.

-Kerry