[vtkusers] XMLDataParser for generic xml parsing

Gerrick Bivins gbivins at objectreservoir.com
Tue Aug 19 13:38:30 EDT 2008

Hi All,
Can I use vtkXMLDataParser to parse any xml file. It seems like all the
calls are there in the API but when I attempt to read one of my own xml
files, the GetCharacterData() for nested components is empty.

Here is the sample function:

protected void parseXMLComponentsDefinitionFile(String xmlFileName,
                                                   java.util.List<String>
filteredComponents)
   {
      vtkXMLDataParser parser = new vtkXMLDataParser();
      parser.SetFileName(xmlFileName);
      if( parser.Parse() == 1)
      {
         vtkXMLDataElement root = parser.GetRootElement();
         //vtkXMLDataElement components =
root.LookupElementWithName("components");
         int numberOfComponents = root.GetNumberOfNestedElements();
         for(int i = 0; i < numberOfComponents; ++i)
         {
            vtkXMLDataElement component = root.GetNestedElement(i);
            vtkXMLDataElement componentID = component.GetNestedElement(0);
            vtkXMLDataElement componentName = component.GetNestedElement(1);
            vtkXMLDataElement componentType = component.GetNestedElement(2);
            String id = componentID.GetCharacterData();//<== this is empty
            System.out.println(id);
            if( filteredComponents.contains(id))
            {
               String [] componentInfo = {componentName.GetCharacterData(),
                                          componentType.GetCharacterData()};
               componentsMap.put(id, componentInfo);
            }
         }