[vtkusers] How to pick a 3D point without the z-buffer?

Mathieu Coursolle mcoursolle at rogue-research.com
Wed Aug 13 10:29:49 EDT 2008

Hi VTK-Users,

I am using VTK on OSX with Core-Animation enabled. Therefore, I am
unable to use any picking
algorithm that use the glReadPixel to retrieve the z-buffer, as the
openGL scene seems to be flattened
at the end of the drawing process.

I am trying to figure out a way to pick a 3D point in space from a
list of known pickable actors.

So let's say I have a collection of actors I know I can pick from, and
a 2D view coordinate where the
mouse was clicked;
Is there a class/function in VTK that could be used to detect the
intersection of the
vector going from the near plane to the far plane in parallel
projection, and the nearest actor from the
list of pickable ones?

Thanks!

Mathieu