[vtkusers] Python VTK import errors (since upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04)

Hans-Uwe Rempler rempler at mechbau.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Aug 13 08:01:14 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

since my last system upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 i'm getting strange errors
from "import vtk", even for the standard VTK examples:

---
% pwd
/usr/share/vtk/GUI/Python

% python SphereWidget.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SphereWidget.py", line 6, in <module>
    import vtk
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/vtk/__init__.py", line 30, in
<module>
    from filtering import *
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/vtk/filtering.py", line 7, in
<module>
    from libvtkFilteringPython import *
ImportError: /usr/lib/libvtkFilteringPythonD.so.5.0: undefined symbol:
_ZN13vtkDataObject26GetAssociationTypeAsStringEi
---

I already tried to deactivate all eye candy effects (Compiz) but the
error message stays the same.
Does anybody know how this error can be interpreted or solved,
respectively? Do i maybe have to update VTK to the nightly build version
(btw, aptitude tells me i'm running libvtk5 - 5.0.3-1ubuntu1)?
Thanks for every hint in advance.

Greetings from Germany,
Uwe