[vtkusers] separating CellData and PointData from Cells and Points in XML format?

Dan Lenski Daniel.Lenski at seagate.com
Tue Aug 12 10:22:48 EDT 2008

Hi all,
I am using Paraview to visualize large time-series of data from materials
simulations.  I've used the file-formats.pdf documentation to convert our
simulator's file format to VTK's VTU unstructured grid format (with
base64 encoding and zlib compression for the arrays).

The output of our simulation consists of a static mesh (cell and node
coordinates don't change) onto which a changing set of node data is
superposed.  It is thus quite wasteful of space and load time for me to
repeat the mesh data in every VTU file.  I am wondering if it's possible
to put the <Cells> and <Points> sections of the VTU file into separately
files which are referenced from the main file, something like this:

<VTKFile...>
    <Piece...>
        <Cells>
             <ExternalFile filename="cells.vtk"/>
        </Cells>
        <Points>
             <ExternalFile filename="points.vtk"/>
        </Points>
        <CellData>
             <DataArray ...>
             1 2 3 4 5 6  7  8  29 29 93993 9 84949 9
             </DataArray>
        </CellData>
        <PointData>
             <DataArray ...>
             1 2 3 4 5 6  7  8  29 29 93993 9 84949 9
             </DataArray>
        </PointData>
    </Piece>
</VTKFile>

Does VTK offer any way to reference external files like this in its XML
file formats?

I have looked at the documentation for the Parallel file formats, and
they seem to only offer the ability to split the whole dataset into
chunks, but not to separate the different XML elements of the dataset...

Thanks,

Dan Lenski