[vtkusers] using stencils to render stl objects

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 12:08:10 EDT 2008

Hi Richard,

I'll see if I can answer some of your questions (some of them are
easier than others).  Note that, if you would be satisfied with a pure
ITK solution, there is an itkTriangleMeshToBinaryImageFilter class.
It doesn't use the same algorithm as PolyDataToImageStencil but it is
meant to do essentially the same thing.

Notes:

1) make sure that you are using VTK 5.2 or VTK cvs, since
PolyDataToImageStencil had some bugs in VTK 5.0

2) you don't have to clip the polydata, in fact it is best if you don't

3) try shrinking the polydata with a transform so that its bounds fit
completely within the image bounds, just as a test (also try replacing
the STL polydata with a vtkSphereSource to see if that works).

Of course, things are not supposed to crash... so is there any chance
that you could send me the STL file and the spacing/origin/size of the
image?  If you can, then I'll email you information about how to
connect to my ftp.

   David