[vtkusers] higher dimensional histogram with vtkImageAccumulate?

Adrian Albert a.albert at jacobs-university.de
Tue Apr 29 12:10:40 EDT 2008

Dear All,

I am trying to construct a 'volumetric histogram', that is, a histogram of 2
or 3 dimensions using vtkImageAccumulate.
I have a multi-component vtkStructuredGrid object, whose scalar fields are
my data space. I want to divide this data space (say a 2D data space of
fields p and T) into uniform bins and count how many points (p, T) fall into
each of these bins of the kind [p1...p2]x[T1...T2].
The documentation of the vtkImageAccumulate class is not clear: does it
support such an operation? It claims that is supports histograms of 1, 2 and
3 dimensions.
However, it does not specify how exactly such 'higher dimension' histograms
are computed: maybe it counts occurances for each fields individually and
spits out several 1D histograms, one for each component?

Any help will be of course greatly appreciated.

Adrian

Adrian Albert
School of Engineering and Science
Jacobs University Bremen