[vtkusers] Help with VTK and Python 2.5

Matthias Allen Meschede Matthias.Meschede at physik.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Apr 29 04:43:23 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to Python and VTK and trying to install VTK with Python
wrapping in windows.
I built VTK 5.04 from source with MinGW after this tutorial:
http://www.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/rz/specials/HiVision/wiki/index.cgi?title=Installation_on_a_Windows_System
The compilation with Python_Wrapping ON and shared libs finally
worked, and I have a bunch of files now, but don't know, how to load
them with Python.

The python install script setup.py doesn't work. It
tries to copy vtkCommonPython.dll, which doesn't exist. I only have
libvtkCommonPython.dll inside the /bin directory.

If I use "import vtk" I get:
Import Error, no module named vtkCommonPython.

I tried to find anything on the mailing
list archive, but the only thing I found was:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2006-December/088630.html
but I have no vtk*Python.dll files, only libvtk*Python.dll

Thanks for help