[vtkusers] VTK with Java on OS X just not working

Timothy Driscoll molvisions at mac.com
Mon Apr 28 16:15:57 EDT 2008

hi,

apologies for sending another inquiry about this issue, but I'm quite
frustrated trying to run VTK with Java wrappings under OS X
(10.4.11).  I've been able to get the VTK-Examples to run just fine,
by setting the build.properties thusly:

vtk.src.path = /local/vtk/vtk-build/bin
vtk.classpath = /local/vtk/vtk-build/bin/vtk.jar

but in my own, very simple Java app, when I do this:

  static {
     System.loadLibrary("vtkCommonJava");
     System.loadLibrary("vtkFilteringJava");
     System.loadLibrary("vtkIOJava");
     System.loadLibrary("vtkImagingJava");
     System.loadLibrary("vtkGraphicsJava");
     System.loadLibrary("vtkRenderingJava");
   }

I continue to see this run-time error:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /local/vtk/VTK-build/bin/
libvtkCommonJava.5.1.0.dylib:
         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1751)

/local/vtk/VTK-build/bin/libvtkCommonJava.5.1.0.dylib exists. I have
set:

-Djava.library.path=.:/local/vtk/vtk-build/bin
-Dclasspath .:/local/vtk/vtk-build/bin/vtk.jar

I really can't understand why this doesn't work. the dylibs are all
in the bin directory. I've tried changing the extensions to jnilib,
and moving them to /Library/java/Extensions, and setting all sorts of
environment variables, and nothing has any effect on the error.  I've
recompiled VTK from the CVS head.  I compiled it without the 'R_PATH'
option, which as I understand tells cmake not to embed the paths in
the files.

my simple app works just fine on linux, which makes it even more
annoying. ;-)

can someone please help?  I'd really like to write actual code that
uses VTK, but I've been stuck trying to point it at the dylibs for
over a month and I'm about at the end of rope.  I think I know just
enough about java and vtk to be dangerous to myself.

thanks for any help,

tim
--
earth:usa:virginia:blacksburg

I am behindtherabbit:
del.icio.us | last.fm | mojo | twitter | www