[vtkusers] Are point clouds defined as Unstructured Points

Amy Squillacote ahs at cfdrc.com
Mon Apr 28 09:15:35 EDT 2008

Hi Cally,

The main difference between vtkPolyData and vtkUnstructuredGrid is
whether 3D cells (tetrahedra, hexahedra, etc.) may be used.
vtkUnstructuredGrid supports such cells; vtkPolyData does not. If a
vtkUnstructuredGrid and a vtkPolyData were storing the same dataset
(i.e., no 3D cells), I'd expect the memory allocation for each type of
dataset to be similar.

A description of the VTK file formats is available here:
http://www.vtk.org/pdf/file-formats.pdf. Chapter 5 of the 4th edition of
"The Visualization Toolkit" textbook ("Basic Data Representation")
provides a good description of the various types of vtkDataSets.

- Amy