[vtkusers] compiling VTK on linux

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 10:17:01 EDT 2008

AFAIK the debian distribution of VTK does not come with java support,
so switching away from Ubuntu is not going to help Liam at all.

Ubuntu may not come with VTK binaries, but it has all of the VTK
dependencies.  Liam will have to install all of the sun-java6 packages
as well as cmake and the dev packages for tcl, tk, etc. but the
process should be straightforward once all the dev packages are there.

Anyone out there with experience specifically in installing VTK-java
on ubuntu?  The last time that I did it was a couple years ago, so I'm
a little rusty.

   David