[vtkusers] Can I derive from vtkOpenGLRenderWindow for a yet unsupported window system?

Christian Banks cryo80home at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 17:00:13 EDT 2008

Thank you David!

>Some classes are more special than others. :-)  vtkRenderWindow subclasses depend on the
>graphics factory to create the "correct" subclass when vtkRenderWindow::New is called. Therefore,
>to add to the vtkRenderWindow hierarchy, you need to modify the graphics factory or provide your
>own "New" implementation that bypasses the graphics factory.

Your comment makes me confident, that I am on the right track. So all I have to do is make vtkGraphicsFactory::CreateInstance("vtkRenderWindow") return a vtkNewOpenGLRenderWindow? (And of course, implement this new class?)

I have tried this already, but something went wrong, don't remember exactly. But if you say it's the right approach, I'll repeat the attempt.

Are any modifications or extensions of vtkRenderer necessary? I don't think so, because I derive the new class from vtkOpenGLRenderer which should take care of  the communication with the vtkRenderer. Can you confirm this?

Thanks again
cryo