[vtkusers] read from multiple files

Adrian Albert a.albert at jacobs-university.de
Mon Apr 7 05:32:18 EDT 2008

Hi

Thanks so much for the reply! My previous post was indeed rather vague, so
here are some clarifications:

1) I would like to read data over the same regular grid from multiple files
(at each point in a 3D regular grid I have several physical fields such as
temperature, pressure, etc, stored each in a separate file)

2) I am now using vtkImageAppendComponent to construct a multidimensional
data object defined over a 3D regular grid:
*
  vtkStructuredPointsReader *reader = vtkStructuredPointsReader::New();
  reader->SetFileName(fname);
  reader->Update();
  vtkStructuredPointsReader *reader1 = vtkStructuredPointsReader::New();
  reader1->SetFileName(fname2);
  reader1->Update();
  vtkImageAppendComponents *readerBundle = vtkImageAppendComponents::New ();
  readerBundle->AddInput (reader->GetOutput ());
  readerBundle->AddInput (reader1->GetOutput ());
*
However, I don't know how to access the individual data fields from this
object to manipulate them. Any suggestions?

3) This multifield object I want to pass to a class that is subclassed from
vtkScalarsToColors that could compute a transfer function for volume
rendering based on this data. Is there a way to achieve that via the
SetInputPort(myObject->GetOutputPort()) mechanism?

4) If I were to use vtkPointData or vtkCellData, how can I store the outputs
of several vtkStructuredPointsReader (which operate on one file only) into a
single vtkPointData object?

5) Does vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper accept a
vtkPointData->GetOutputPort() at its input port?

Thanks again for helping!

Adrian