[vtkusers] help (I'm a newbie...)

Trevis Crane trevis.crane at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 17:48:22 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to programming in C++, and I'm brand new to VTK.  And I am
having trouble finding a good way to visualize my data.

I have an array of data points -- each data point has x,y,z and intensity
values (doubles).  The data should be fairly well structured, but I don't
want to bet on it.  That is, x (for example) should run from 0.0 to 0.49 in
steps of 0.1, but it may vary here and there by a little bit.  So, I just
want to plot slices of the data, where the slice's normal is along the
z-axis.

I found an example that does something really simimlar -- CutCombustor.py,
but it gets its data by way of the vtkPlot3DReader, defines a plane object
and uses the plane to cut slices out of the data.  Sounds great for me, but
I don't know how to massage my data into something that I can pass to the
vtkPlane::SetOrigin() function in such a way that when I plot my slice I see
a filled contour plot (or something like that).

So, if you have any suggestions on how to do this or better approach in
general, please let me know!

thanks for your help,
trevis