[vtkusers] Re: How suitable is VTK for 'live' display during an experiment?

jelle jelleferinga at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 10:29:27 EDT 2007

Hi Andrew,

If the bottleneck isn't in your IO, than VTK should serve you well!
I don't have a precise idea on what it is you need to display, but VTK should
be perfect for the job. I have one important recommendation though:
the 'native' VTK wrappers aren't very pythonic. Have a look at TVTK.

The ___great___ advantage of TVTK is that it supports numpy arrays.
These allow you to process large matrices / arrays at breakneck speed.
numpy is an array processing language, hence loops are done in C, not pure
python, which speeds up things considerable. TVTK lets you play nice ( not to
mention *easy* ) with numpy arrays, which I'm sure will improve your
application vastly. Also, TVTK let's you easily ( and i mean _easily_ ) build
useful interfaces. Have a look at scipy.org, it's all there. Do yourself a
favor and use the enstaller to get most of this stuff. Keep us posted on your
progress!

-jelle