[vtkusers] What Is Wrong With My VTK Pipeline ?

Amy Squillacote amy.squillacote at kitware.com
Wed Sep 19 08:54:55 EDT 2007

Hi Mark,

>From the header file for the vtkHAVSVolumeMapper:

// vtkHAVSVolumeMapper is a class that renders polygonal data
// (represented as an unstructured grid) using the Hardware-Assisted
// Visibility Sorting (HAVS) algorithm.

The vtkHAVSVolumeMapper is a hardware-based algorithm, so not all
graphics cards will support it. Regardless, it operates on
vtkUnstructuredGrid datasets, not vtkImageData. It is possible to
convert vtkImageData to vtkUnstructuredGrid, but it is not recommended
that you do that just to volume render your data. Representing
vtkImageData as a vtkUnstructuredGrid requires much more memory that
leaving it in its original format. If you want to use a
hardware-accelerated volume rendering method for your vtkImageData, try
vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D.

- Amy