[vtkusers] What Is Wrong With My VTK Pipeline ?

JohnMark zhaojunxp at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 06:10:02 EDT 2007

Hi , vtkusers ,
    I have been testing some examples of cells during these days . and I find an interesting class :
vtkImageMandelbrotSource , because its output can be used by volume rendering , although the volume
rendering is unstructured grid volume rendering .
    and I find it has an input method : SetInputConnection(vtkDataObject *) , so I think it may be OK
if I take the output of class vtkVolume16Reader as its input , but , luckily , I get an error :
Attempt to connect input port index 0 for an algorithm with 0 input ports . but in other examples of
volume rendering , there is not any error like this , and all of them work well . so I don't think
there is 0 input ports .
    the codes is just as follows :

vtkVolume16Reader *reader = vtkVolume16Reader::New();//**** the v16 codes is no problem , I have test it many times .  reader->SetDataDimensions(64,64);  reader->SetImageRange(1,93);  reader->SetDataByteOrderToLittleEndian();  reader->SetFilePrefix("../headsq/quarter");  reader->SetDataSpacing(3.2, 3.2, 1.5);
vtkImageMandelbrotSource *input = vtkImageMandelbrotSource::New();  input->SetInputConnection(reader->GetOutputPort());

so there are my problems :
    1、of course , vtkImageMandelbrotSource can create images by itself , is it real that
vtkImageMandelbrotSource can not take other images as input ports ?
    2、if it is so , all the unstructured grid volume rendering methods can not take random images
as their input ports ? if it is not , what should I do before I send the images (like .dcm images) to
vtkImageMandelbrotSource  ?
    and I have tried vtkUnstructuredGridAlgorithm , it can transform the images to unstructured grid ,
just as the unstructured grid volume rendering requires , but it doesn't work .
    or in other words , these methods , like vtkUnstructuredGridVolumeZSweepMapper , can not be used
by the medical  visualization system , so which field can they be used ?

    thank you with great regards !

    Mark