[vtkusers] Issues with large polydata datasets & capturing vt kOutputWindow data

L.J. van Ruijven L.J.vanRuijven at amc.uva.nl
Mon Sep 17 04:54:27 EDT 2007

Over a year ago I encountered a similar problem. The problem is MS
windows, which loads its drivers randomly in memory. Consequently, you
may have more then a gig of free memory, while at the same time
windows is not ably to allocate a contiguous array of 200 mb.
Increasing the available RAM from 2 to 3 gigs is generally not enough
to solve the problem. I solved this problem by switching to 64 bit
windows, and 64 bit VTK. Another solution might be to switch to Linux,
because Linux does not load its drivers randomly in RAM. So when Linux
has 1 gig free memory, you can almost always allocate a contiguous
array of 200 mb.

Leo.