[vtkusers] A Mathematic Symbol Problem

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Sep 10 09:46:10 EDT 2007

On 9/6/07 9:17 AM, JohnMark said:

>    there are many math computation expressions in VTK , but unluckily ,
>I can not find the perfect math
>unit symbols in terms of the expressions' results . for example , the
>result of surface area maybe 0.0012
>sq.m. , but I can not write "sq.m." , because there is not a few of
>people knowing it . then , I have to
>write "mm" , or "m*m", or "m2" . however , all of them are not
>canonical . so I think if there is a
>function or a class , which can create perfect math unit symbols , the
>users will know it more easily .

Mark,

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to write text with
characters like the following:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_Mathematical_Operators>

If so, you will be sad to know that VTK does not support Unicode.  Your
best bet is probably to render the characters you want as bitmaps, then
feed the bitmaps to VTK.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com