[vtkusers] Reducing the number of points in a vtkpolydata structure

Jens Thomas j.m.h.thomas at dl.ac.uk
Fri Sep 7 05:19:01 EDT 2007

Hello!

I'm trying to experiment with flow lines, and so am trying to overlay
arrows onto streamlines.

I can get this to work by creating streamlines with vtkStreamline, then
create a series of points with vtkStreampoints, and place arrows on the
points with vtkGlyph3d.

This all works fine, but there are often far too many streampoints
produced and I'd like a quick and easy way of decreasing the number of
arrows - I'd prefer something simple as I'd like to include this
functionality in a GUI. I can of course recompute the streampoints
changing the IntegrationStepLength and TimeIncrement, but this seems
rather heavyweight as I've got all the data I need and just want to
sample a portion of it.

Ideally, I'd just like to decrease the number of points in the
vtkPolyData produced by vtkStreamPoints.

I've tried using vtkMaskPolyData, but this just changes the number of
cells and leaves the points unchanged.

Is there any way I can change the number of points?

Best wishes,

Jens

Jens Thomas,                email:  j.m.h.thomas at dl.ac.uk
STFC Daresbury Lab,         tel:    +44-1925-603849
Warrington,                 fax:    +44-1925-603634
WA4 4AD,  UK.               http:   http://www.cse.scitech.ac.uk