[vtkusers] Running VTK on Linux, remote display to Sun 5.8

David Vos vtkusers at yoshinet.net
Wed Oct 31 12:16:26 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am running VTK 5.0.1 on Linux, Fedora Core 4.  It runs fine when I
run vtk on Linux, and display to my Mac.  However, if I display to a
Sun (SunOS 5.8), the program fails with the error:

GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
eventtype=0
resourceid=13
serial=411631
error_code=154
request_code=154
minor_code=17

I have tracked it down in vtkOpenGLTexture::Load(), where we are doing
an "#ifdef GL_VERSION_1_1", then glGenTextures().  I
have been able to avoid the error if I edit vtkOpenGLTexture.cxx and
add the line "#undef GL_VERSION_1_1".

It is interesting to note that on the Sun, GL/gl.h defines GL_VERSION_1_1.

Is there a better way to avoid the error?  What would be the best
approach to my problem?

Thanks,
-David Vos