[vtkusers] vtkKdTree BuildLocatorFromPoints trouble

jtaclas at bidmc.harvard.edu jtaclas at bidmc.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 23 12:12:30 EDT 2007

I am having some trouble with vtkKdTree.  I read data in as structured points, turn it into a surface with vtkMarchingContourFilter, and would like to find the nearest point of this surface to a specified point in space.  To do this, do I need to get the point data from the contour filter and use BuildLocatorFromPoints, or would I just set the contour filter output as the data set and use BuildLocator; I ask because the manual pages online suggest that vtkIdType vtkKdTree::FindClosestPoint requires the locator be from BuildLocatorFromPoints.  If this is the case, should the following work (or better phrased, why doesn't it)?
	vtkKdTree * example = vtkKdTree::New();
	example->BuildLocatorFromPoints(contour->GetOutput()->GetPoints());