[vtkusers] Generating 3D images from surfaces

Amy Squillacote amy.squillacote at kitware.com
Thu Oct 18 07:58:10 EDT 2007

Hi Andreas,

Take a look at the vtkProbeFilter. Your vtkPolyData would be the source,
and you could create a vtkImageData with the specified dimensions to be
the input.

In VTK 4.*, vtkDataSetToImageFilter was the superclass of a few
different filters. In VTK 5.*, the pipeline was re-architected. In this
process, we now use vtkAlgorithm instead of vtkProcessObject. The
classes that were subclasses of vtkDataSetToImageFilter (filters that
take vtkDataSet as input and produce vtkImageData as output) are now
subclasses of vtkImageAlgorithm. Even in VTK 4.*,
vtkDataSetToImageFilter was an abstract class; you still would not have
been able to instantiate it directly.

- Amy