[vtkusers] How to get native scalar pointer from a vtkImageReader?

Amy Squillacote amy.squillacote at kitware.com
Thu Oct 18 07:52:21 EDT 2007

Hi James,

First you'll need to manually call Update() on your instance of
vtkImageReader. Then do something similar to the code shown below.

vtkImageReader *reader = vtkImageReader::New();
reader->Update();
vtkImageData *output = reader->GetOutput();
void *ptr = output->GetScalarPointer();

You can find out the scalar type of the scalars in the vtkImageData
using the GetScalarType() or GetScalarTypeAsString() methods. Then you
can cast the pointer to the raw data to the correct type.

- Amy