[vtkusers] Generating 3D images from surfaces

Lintermann Andreas A.Lintermann at aia.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Oct 17 08:49:07 EDT 2007

Hi,

I was wondering if there exists a class which can handle the
following problem:

I have a 3D geometry stored in a vtkPolyData and I would like to
generate a 3D image out of it. The image should have a resolution
specified by the user. I was thinking about using bounded 2D cut
planes through my geometry and and generate a certain pixel value at
the position of the pixel, where a triangle from my 3d surface cuts
this plane. After generating a lot of these 2d images along a certain
axis (the distance of the planes is the diameter in z-direction of
the geomtry devided by the resolution of the image in z-direction), I
want to combine these images to a 3d image volume. Is there any
easier way to handle this?

Yours sincerly,

Andreas Lintermann

Aerodynamisches Institut und Lehrstuhl für Strömungslehre der RWTH
Aachen
Institute of Aerodynamics and the Chair of Fluid Mechanics of RWTH
Aachen University

Andreas Lintermann
Webdesign and Network Administration
Tel: 		(+49)-241-80-95415