[vtkusers] Converting vtkMultiBlockDataSet into vtkDataObject

Renato N. Elias rnelias at nacad.ufrj.br
Thu Oct 11 14:54:50 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

I'm facing the following problem:

I'm trying to load an Ensight file and convert it into a VTK XML file. The
problem is that vtkGenericEnSightReader is treating my file as a
vtkMultiBlockDataSet, even for a file with only one piece of data (I guess,
it should not work in this way).

The method of using vtkfile->SetInputConection(reader->GetOutputPort()) does
not work at all and using vtkfile->SetInput(reader->GetOutput()) return me a
compilation error message which says:

cannot convert parameter 1 from 'vtkMultiBlockDataSet *' to 'vtkDataObject
*'

I already tried the forced method of using
reinterpret_cast<vtkDataObject>(vtkMultiBlockDataSet) but it has not worked
-- I should confess that I'm just a Fortran (and ex-Object Pascal)
programmer playing a little bit with C++.

I thought also about using the filter vtkMultiGroupDataExtractDataSets but I
have no idea how I could use it. It's not on my VTK book (I guess, multi
block data is a VTK-CVS feature). Ok, I could just simplify my problem using
previous versions of VTK but in the other hand, I'd like to keep everything
updated. Any ideas?

Regards

Renato.

p.s.: In fact, I'm trying to overcome a ParaView problem by converting my
Ensight files into VTK single block data.