[vtkusers] RAM question...

fred fredmfp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 14:24:12 EDT 2007

Hi,

Which one is the most relevant, for big data ?

The RAM amount of the GPU or the RAM amount for the CPU ?

In other words, how are used each ?

Example:

laptop: debian  etch x86_64
GCU: nvidia 7900 GS with 512 MB, Core 2 Duo with 2 GB

I can display 15000 scatters as glyph (little spheres) for a theta * phi
resolution of 6*6
on this laptop, using mayavi2.

If I modify theta * phi resolution to, say, 18*18, no glyph is displayed
at all.

If I lack of RAM memory on my laptop, I don't get any explicit message or
warning.

desktop: debian etch x86_64
GCU: 2 x nvidia 6800 GT (256 MB each)  in SLI mode, Pentium D with 4 GB

I can display glyphs with a theta*phi resolution up to 18*18 without any
problem.

I get the same results with paraview-3.1: no glyph for resolution 18x18
on my laptop,
no problem on the desktop.

TIA.

Cheers,