[vtkusers] Boolean Operations on PolyData

Dominik Szczerba domi at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Mon Oct 1 11:28:22 EDT 2007

Search for level set methods and signed distance function - it is
certainly beyond the scope of this mailing list. In one word, if your
surfaces are "reasonable" you can easily represent it as a signed
distance function, which is a scalar field sampled on another often
Cartesian volumetric grid. Once you have it, also for the other mesh,
you can perform boolean operations on them to get a resulting distance
function, like difference between the two would be min(d1,-d2) or so. To
compute such distance functions as well as contour them to surface
meshes - all the (optimally scaling!) functionality is there in VTK, and
that was my point.
- -- Dominik