[vtkusers] no python/java libs in latest binary Windows installer

Alethea abair at viz.tamu.edu
Fri Nov 30 16:55:56 EST 2007

I am working on getting VTK compiled and running on all sorts of systems
for teaching a class. I have the Users Guide for version 4.4, which
gives excellent explanations for installations.
However, this version of the Guide says that the binary Windows
installation lets you choose python and java libraries to add during the
installation process. Strangely, the online version 5.0.3 installer does
not seem to have this option. Why was this flexibility abandoned? Many
possible users for VTK will be unfamiliar with installing programs from
source code on any system, and requiring such an installation presents a
major roadblock for many users. (Trying to install from code without the
User's Guide took me over a week to figure out since online tutorials
are generally lacking, and I am not a newbie computer user)
I would appreciate thoughts and comments,
-Alethea