[vtkusers] Bug in depth ordering whilst rendering

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 13:52:20 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 09:21 -0600, Randall Hand wrote:
> Whether or not the Depth Buffer exists is typically a function of the
> arguments used to create the GL context.  You can create contexts
> without a Depth Buffer, but it's unusual.
>
> other things to look into:
> * Near-Far clipping Plane values .. have you tried calling
> renderer->ResetCameraClippingRange() ?  if your near plane is too
> close to 0, you'll lose alot of resolution, causing artifacts.
> * Are you creating your own GL contexts? Or using the built-in VTK
> stuff?

VTK stuff... I'm attaching the info here. I'm really new to VTK, so am
not entirely familiar with its correct usage.

When I run a simple test program:

ipython -wthread vtk_test.py

Where vtk_test.py is from the first example here:
http://scipy.org/Cookbook/MayaVi/mlab

I get the attached screenshot from some camera angles. A correct example
is at the above website.

Thanks for helping!

Best wishes,

Peter C.