[vtkusers] large data sets and memory

L.J. van Ruijven L.J.vanRuijven at amc.uva.nl
Sat Nov 24 19:43:18 EST 2007

Hi Suzanne,

When I started the pipeline with a datafile of 100 MB I saw a quick
increase of the memory usage with 100 MB. This lasted about 20
seconds. Then it increased again quickly to about 600 MB and quickly
dropped back to about 100MB, after which the scenery appeared on the
screen. Moving the scenery on the screen again caused an increase and
decrease. With larger datafiles I got the memory error during the
second increase at about 1 GB.

I do not think the memory on a graphics card can increase the
available memory for win32. My computer was equipped with 4GB of RAM,
but the limit for one executable was still 3 GB. The amount of
available RAM does not determine this limit, but by the memory manager
of win32.

But if you insist, you might try to run your win32 program on a
computer with Windows XP x64 installed. This increases the maximum
memory available for your win32 executable to 4 GB. But more
importantly, these 4 GB should not be fragmented by the system drivers
that windows loads during startup, because these drivers should be
loaded in the 64 bit memory space. As far as I know this has not been
tested yet.

Leo.