[vtkusers] newbie problems: vtkBlankStructuredGrid and vtkStreamLine with UNSTRUCTURED_GRID

Marcel Schiffel marcelschiffel at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 23 18:21:36 EST 2007

Hi everybody,

I'm working on a CFD project and want to port existing visualization
routines to the amazing VTK. It took me quite a lot time to figure out how
to plot scalar fields and to set up offscreen batch rendering. I now try to
implement some more advanced features and do not want to waste too much time
in a one way road.

Currently I'm using a TCL script to plot vector fields from an unstructured
grid and acquired nice results. Value blanking is no problem when using
vtkTreshold, but using vtkBlankStructuredGrid seems to be impossible with
that kind of data (I want to use another field that indicates blanking by
ones and zeros). Same thing for vtkStreamLine: I read somewhere that a
structured grid is necessary. Are there any equivalent functions for
unstructured grids, or a routine that maps the unstructured data to
structured (don't think so!)? I probably need to use the unstructured
instead of a structured grid, because we are computing CELL_DATA which seems
to be possible in an unstructured grid only.

I'm willing to write a tutorial on this afterwards since it took myself
really long to find the basic stuff.

I spend already a lot of time on this and appreciate any help
many thanks in advance