[vtkusers] paraview crashes in VTK with > 2^31 points

Marco Ehlert Marco.Ehlert at mpikg.mpg.de
Thu Nov 22 10:56:55 EST 2007

VTK_USE_64BIT_IDS is used and vtkIdType is 64bit 'long'.
The mentioned bug is related to 'int' type of extent[] values
and calculating the number of tuples before invoking
SetNumberOfTuples().

see vtkImageData::AllocateScalars()

   1630*1250*1520 results in -1197967296 as number of tuples

Fixing this calculation as mentioned in previous email removes the
crash, but when turning on volume representation no points are displayed.
I am using the MPI version with --use-offscreen-rendering on 64 nodes.
I can move my box and modify the color map but nothing is displayed.

I am very new to paraview and would appreciate any further hint
how to track down why no points are displayed. All goes well with
400x400x400 samples.

Marco