[vtkusers] volume rendering and memory

Suzanne Little Suzanne.Little at ibai-institut.de
Wed Nov 7 05:02:25 EST 2007

Dear all,

I'm trying to do volume rendering on a sequence of microscope images of
cells. The images are 8-bit, grayscale, tiff, 843x937. I can
successfully render around 300 slices but the program crashes with
memory issues if I try to use any more. The system setup is VTK5.0, 2
processors, 1.86GHz, 2GB RAM, windows XP.

Currently I'm using vtkVolumeRayCastMapper (based on the SimpleRayCast
example that comes with VTK). Images are read using TIFFReader with
ReleaseDataFlagOn. I've looked at the entry in the FAQ about handling
large data files but I gather that ImmediateModeRendering and
TriangleStripper don't apply to the VolumeRayCastMapper?.

What are the limitations of VTK with respect to memory? Have I genuinely
reached the limits of my system? Or should I be able to render more than
300 slices?

Thanks,
Suzanne