[vtkusers] Combine VTk with other package

Mon Nov 5 09:42:19 EST 2007

The way I've done it in the past is this:  A top level Makefile does
the whole configure/build/install routine for Makefile/GConf based
package.  Similarly, Make runs CMake to configure code like VTK.

The other option is to write CMakeLists.txt files for the package.
This isn't that difficult for packages that don't have something
screwy going on in the Makefiles.  Making a library just means adding
a source list to a library target.  All the platform-specific stuff
that running configure usually does happens internally to CMake.

If you want to know what commands to use I find it easier to run CMake
from the command line and figure out the minimal set of symbols needed
to get things built the way you want. Usually that amounts to a
definition for the install directory, and the paths to get at other
packages upon which the current library depends.