[vtkusers] OK so does ANYONE use the vtkImageTracerWidget?

jonathan grimm flymolo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 14:05:50 EDT 2007

I will be doing most of the same things you talked about, but I haven't
gotten into it yet.  As a general course when I want to greatly extend
something from VTK, I edit the existing class making everything non-trivial
virtual then extend the class.  This allows me to keep up to date with VTK
fairly easily.  I haven't looked at image tracer widget yet though.  The
application I need it for will be my first Qt application, and I'm trying to
design the event model first.

The application this program is replacing strictly marked points, leaving
the construction of lines and surfaces to post-processing.  This approach
has proved burdensome, and we would like to delineate surfaces (possibly
with splines rather than lines) in the future.

What is your time frame for this application?  I will probably have our
lab's solution in a month or so.

> A couple of days ago, I posted a note asking about image tracing using
> vtkImageTracerWidget.  I guess it was too long or too speculative or
> something because I got no response.
>
> I'm not complaining, mind you.  I know support from peers and
> developers is voluntary.
>
> But since it didn't get any response let me ask a different question:
> Has anyone use the vtkImageTracerWidget for any real application?
>
> If the answer is no, what did you end up doing to implement tracing?
>
> Right now, I've gotten as far as this:
>
> 1. Load a 3D Image.
> 2. Enable tracing. Trace on that slice
> 3. When I switch slices, save the traced points
> 4. When I switch back to a slice I've already traced, restore the saved
> points.
>
> What isn't happening right now: If I switch to an untraced slice, I
> call InitializeHandles() with a zero length set of points, but this
> doesn't in fact get rid of the currently visualized trace.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the dancer from the dance - Corwin in CoC