[vtkusers] ICP with Point Cloud

Emmanouil Moschidis moshman65 at yahoo.com
Tue May 29 13:55:47 EDT 2007

What I know from theory is that ICP needs a good initial state , in order to work fine. That initial state is most of the times given by vtkLandmarksTransform by selecting a small number of Landmarks and making point-to-point registration.

Regarding the number of iterations in the ICP I think you have define that. In my opinion you should cut the task and the code into small blocks and debug it untill you find which object is not having the expected parameters. Then you may
post a snippet of your not working code here.

samo <sandra.moritz at gmx.de> wrote:

Hi guys

Thanks very much for your ideas, but unfortunately they both don't work.
Everytime I check the NumberOfIterations the icp needed, I get 0. My points
are completly random, sometimes I also have some points twice or more. What
could be the error? I understood both ideas, and in my opinion they should
work perfectly, but they don't

Has anybody an idea?

Emmanouil Moschidis wrote:

> hi i have posted in the past this  piece of code that should work...
>

>      vtkPoints *cloudPoints=new vtkPoints;
>      vtkCellArray *cloudCells=new vtkCellArray;
>      vtkPolyData *cloudPData=new vtkPolyData;
>

>      cloudPoints->SetDataTypeToDouble();
>      cloudPoints->SetNumberOfPoints(numberOfVTKPoints);
>

>      for(int i=0; i<(numberOfVTKCells*3); i++)
>      {
> cloudPoints->SetPoint(i,vtkStoredPointsBuffer[i].getX(),vtkStoredPointsBuffer[i].getY(),vtkStoredPointsBuffer[i].getZ());
>
>      }
>
>      cloudCells->InsertNextCell(numberOfVTKPoints);
>

>      for (int i=0; i
>      {
>          cloudCells->InsertCellPoint(i);
>      }
>

>      cloudPData->SetPoints(cloudPoints);
>      cloudPData->SetLines(cloudCells);
>

> the only weird thing you may see is these getX(), getY(), getZ()
> methods.The reason why i use these methods is that i store my points in
> std::vector
where Point3D is a custom class for 3D points (in your