[vtkusers] ICP with Point Cloud

samo sandra.moritz at gmx.de
Fri May 25 10:34:26 EDT 2007

Hello together

I try to match a point cloud with a surface with the help of
vtkIterativeClosestPointAlgorithm. What I would like to know is, whether and
how I can use a point cloud in vtk. At the moment, I am using the vtkPoints
array to store all the points in. But when I want to use the icp, I need a
vtkDataSet. But, as I understood, the vtkDataSet always needs the cell
information. Is that right? I tried to use vtkUnstructuredGrid with only
setting points and no cells. But the icp calculated no transformation. Is
there a possiblility to use the icp without the cell information? As, in my
point cloud, I don't know how the points are organized. I just would like to
calculate a transformation from the point cloud to the surface. The icp
which I know from maths, is able to do that.

Has anybody an idea?