[vtkusers] vtkImageReslice class

Emmanouil Moschidis moshman65 at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 07:54:33 EDT 2007

Before being able to use some parts of the code I have to solve a different problem. (I posted a new question but either it was not quite clear or nobody has done that before (?)  )

I work within a DICOM viewer so the DICOM series are already loaded (I do not read from a file like in case of the vtkImageReader2). Actually every DICOM image is stored in a custom class and all together in a NSArray (yes it is objective-C). So I want to load the images from the NSArray to the vtkImageReader2 object... I am not sure how should I do that.

Maybe first I need to load them into a vtkImageData object? (still I haven't found any example for that)

And then again I have the problem how to get the output properly. But I guess these questions do not belong to this class.

David Gobbi <dgobbi at atamai.com> wrote: Hi Emmanouil,

The best example for what you are trying to do is probably this one:

VTK/Examples/ImageProcessing/Cxx/ImageSlicing.cxx

This example is only in the CVS version of VTK, it isn't in the VTK 5
release.

What I do with tracking systems is use the coordinate/quaternion from
the tracking system to create a vtkTransform, then I concatenate that
transform with a vtkMatrix4x4 from the patient registration, and then
feed the resulting transform to vtkImageReslice as the ResliceTransform.

If you have looked at the class page for vtkImageReslice, you will
notice that there are two methods for setting orientations:
SetResliceAxes() and SetResliceTransform().

For tracking, I always set ResliceTransform to the position/orientation
of the tool (in patient coordinates), and then set the ResliceAxes
according to how I want to orient the slice relative to orientation of
the tool.  In that way, the ResliceAxes is used to choose the tool axes
along which you will be extracting the slice.

The tricky thing with vtkImageReslice is getting the OutputOrigin,
OutputSpacing, and OutputExtent set properly for your application.
Together, these parameters can be used to describe an output slice plane
with a particular pixel spacing.   So for example:

OutputOrigin =  (-127.5, -127.5, 0.0)
OutputSpacing = (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
OutputExtent = (0, 255, 0, 255, 0, 0)

These describe a 256x256 output slice with 1mm pixel spacing.  The first
pixel is at (-127.5,-127.5,0) in the "output coordinate system" of
vtkImageReslice.  The centre of the slice is at (0,0,0) in the "output
coordinate system" of vtkImageReslice.

Now, the original input volume is in the "input coordinate system" of
vtkImageReslice.  We can call the input coordinate system "x" and the
output coordinate system "x'".  The relationship between these
coordinates is as follows:

x = T*M*x'    where "T" is ResliceTransform and "M" is ResliceMatrix

So this tells you that, if "M" is chosen to be a pure rotation matrix,
and if "T" contains the position of the tool point in input image
coordinates, then the point x' = (0,0,0), which is in the centre of our
output plane, will correspond to the point x = tool_point.  So, we will
be extracting a slice through the tool point position.

I know that is probably not the best description, let me know if things
aren't quite clear.

 - David