[vtkusers] How to release memory in vtkCanvas repaint method? (Java-VTK)

jose.amuedo at telvent.abengoa.com jose.amuedo at telvent.abengoa.com
Fri May 11 11:55:55 EDT 2007

Hi all,

we have an application that employes the  Java binding to VTK version
5.0.3. In this context we have realised the following problem related to
memory issues.

I will try to put you all in context in order to understand our problem. We
start creating a ContourFilter object and following we create an Actor
object based on the ContourFilter one. Later on, we add the Actor object to
a Render one. In memory the Actor object has got a size of 60 MB. If we
apply a repaint method to a vtkCanvas object, we observe that the memory
had been increased in 60MB (due to the size of the Actor object) and
another 80 MB that we suppose are due to the repaint internal process.
Later if we invoke the remove method to eliminate the Actor object from the
Render object and we remove the Actor object and call to the Java Garbage
Collector we notice that 60 MB from the Actor object are recovered while 80
MB remains in memory. In the current situation, if we repeat the process,
another 80 MB are added in memory. In resume at the end of this process we
have 160 MB in memory that we need to recover and we do not know how to do
it. If we iterate this process "n-times", the final increase of memory is
"n-times"*80MB.

Do you know any method to call in this situation to recover these memory
MB? May be this a bug?

Regards,
JAS

***********Internet Email Confidentiality Footer*************
solely for the use of the organization or individual to whom they are
addressed.  It is expressly forbidden to retransmit or copy email and/or
this  attached files without our permission .  If you are not the
addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the
message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message
to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly
notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or
your employer does not consent to Internet email for messages of this
kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that
do not relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as
neither given nor endorsed by it.