[vtkusers] Problem building Universal Binary version of VTK on Mac OSX

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed May 9 15:23:12 EDT 2007

On 2007-05-09 16:42, Jens Thomas said:

>I'm trying to build a universal binary version of VTK on an Intel Mac
>including the Python and Tcl/Tk wrappers (as I require it for an
>application that uses Tkinter).
>
>I'm using a fresh checkout from CVS for VTK and
>cmake-2.4.6-Darwin-universal.

That's good; anything older is much less likely to work.  CVS CMake may
be better actually.

>The build goes fine, building universal objects as requested until it
>tries to build the file libvtkCommonPythonD.5.1.0.dylib

You are specifying the 10.4u SDK with CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT, right?

>It then falls over with the error:
>
>ld: common symbols not allowed with MH_DYLIB output format with the
>-multi_module option

Don't you just hate link errors? :)

One of our nightly builds is Universal with python and tcl:

<http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/RogueResearch2/MacOSXTiger-i386-carbon/
20070508-0300-Nightly/Notes.html>

Maybe compare settings?

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com